Friday 26 October 2012

Sunday Roast: Leftovers

As mentioned in my previous blog, cooking a whole chicken makes a really economical choice to roast because of what you can do with the leftovers. Cooking for two other girls last Sunday who preferred to eat the breast meat, I was left with lovely, succulent leg meat that is great for using the next day as it doesn't dry out as much, and easily breaks up into bite size pieces. I had enough to make two meals.
Firstly a healthy chicken salad for lunch... And then a creamy chicken risotto inspired by a lovely customer who said she always uses stock made from the carcass and left over chicken meat for risotto the following week. When making risotto you essentially keep adding stock to the rice until it is the lovely consistency that resembles risotto, and add ingredients as you so wish. For a really good basic recipe and other risotto ideas I would turn to Jamie, but again, on a budget I replaced stock with extremely watery gravy! Although this sounds bizarre, I added about 200ml boiling water to a teaspoon of chicken Bisto powder which gave the risotto a lovely hearty flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment